MY PRIMARY AIM IS

TO INSPIRE AND MOTIVATE THE PEOPLE OF THE WORLD TO MAKE POSITIVE CHANGES IN THEIR LIVES, WHILE HAVING FUN.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Goodbye July

The last week of July was a busy week. I had performance from Tuesday thru Sunday. The Highlight would have to be Last Thursday on Alberta Street. If you want to give god a laugh, make a plan. I planned to be on the corner of N.E. 17th and Alberta, in front of the Community Cycling Center. Well, there was a bike parking lot set up right in the spot. There was no more room for me and my sound equipment. I was about to scrap the idea, but I told myself I needed to stick it out, as a growing experience.

The back-up plan, walk up & down the street and give out sample CDs. Managed to borrow some microphone time from Kelsey (Pianist with an amazing voice) and Hal, to perform “Voice.” It went well and was well received. New plan, ask for some microphone time from folks that had sounds systems. I ran into Worth (Guitarist with a great voice, a fan on Alberta referred to him as the next Robin Thicke), and he said “If you want to do a few pieces and freestyle, be my guest.” I was like word!
We had the bucket drummers, funky guitar, soulful vocals, and a fresh spoken word eMCee. In the category of vocal performers on Alberta, we had held down the biggest crowd, from what I was told. Worth and I went back and forth with 90’s hip hop and r&b cuts. Classics like, “push it”, “Fresh prince of Bel Air”, “Jump on it”, “Too Close” to name a few. Great times and we made a little food and gas money. My man “Izzie,” had some great shirts for sale that you should check out at www.horisingup.com. He wanted get on the mic, but they opened the street before he had the chance. Folks from the crowd kick a couple verses and freestyles. This guy wearing a tiara was actually pretty dope with the rhyme skills, to everyone’s surprise and delight.

This was a drastic difference from my experience last month. I just felt like I was shouting at people without a sound system. If a man, wearing a black head wrap and hoody to match, were shouting “CATS BUST GATS” I would walk a little faster and avert eye contact as well. Worth and I may link up to do it again next month. It’s a great feeling when your art connects directly with the people, shakes them from the normal routine. They pay attention and have a good time with you.




Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Subscribe and be first to witness new music, poems, and more!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner